The Story So Far
SkyBox Labs was founded in 2011 by Shyang Kong, Derek MacNeil, and Steven Silvester, three game industry veterans each with more than a decade of experience. Prior to creating SkyBox Labs, the founders held senior director roles at EA Vancouver working on a number of franchises including NBA STREET, Madden NFL, NBA Live, and Need for Speed. The company has since evolved from a team of 8 people to a studio of over 100 engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more. Throughout this transformation, we’ve worked hard to preserve the atmosphere of a small studio and our core values of transparency and openness.
There is a real sense of comradery on the SkyBox team, built on the mutual respect and trust between the founders and the staff. Our flat structure underscores the open and supportive nature of the SkyBox team: regardless of one’s level at the studio, everyone is accessible and receptive. Meanwhile, the diversity of our projects provides the opportunity to work with the world’s top publishers and also to flex our creative muscles on original games.
- Gematsu | Halo Infinite co-developer announces cinematic platformer Stela for Xbox One, PC (read)
- Bleeding Cool | SkyBox Labs Announces New Xbox One Game Called Stela (read)
“The visuals and the trailer look absolutely stunning and it’s the kind of game I wish I had in my hands right now.”
- Variety | Microsoft to Showcase 30 Games at GDC 2019 (read)
- Xbox.com | 13 New Titles Announced for ID@Xbox Ahead of GDC 2019 (read)
- Daily Hive | 21 awesome Vancouver companies currently hiring more than 150 positions (read)
- Comicbook.com | Halo: Infinite Being Developed By 343 Industries and Skybox Labs (read)
- GameSpot | Halo Infinite Adds A Co-Developer (read)
- EGM | Halo Infinite won’t be developed by just 343 Industries (read)
- Windows Central | SkyBox Labs helping with Halo Infinite development (read)
- Wccftech | Halo Infinite to be Co-Developed by Halo 5: Forge and Project Spark Studio Skybox Labs (read)
- SkyBox Labs Partners with 343 Industries on Development of Halo Infinite (read)
“343 Industries is excited to continue our partnership with SkyBox Labs on Halo Infinite, with their team doing great work across many areas of our project.” – Chris Lee, Head of Halo FPS at 343 Industries.
- SkyBox Labs Brings Bedrock Version of Minecraft to Nintendo Switch (read)
“SkyBox Labs has been an excellent partner in developing the Bedrock version of Minecraft for Nintendo Switch. Their expertise in Nintendo Switch development was instrumental to bringing our players a seamless cross-play experience.” – Travis Howland, Minecraft Director, Microsoft Studios.
- Straight.com | Why Metro Vancouver has become a world leader in virtual and augmented reality (read)
- Xbox.com | Inside Xbox One X Enhanced: Halo 5 (read)
- Xbox.com | 343 Industries Details Massive Updates for Halo Esports and Halo Games (read)
- Business in Vancouver | B.C.’s top video game developers reach for the next level (read)
- GameSpot | Xbox One X Enhancements For Halo 5 Detailed (read)
- Polygon | Halo: The Master Chief Collection to get fixes, upgrades for Xbox One X (read)
- GamaSutra | Using 3D-Printed Trophies and Community Tournaments to Increase Player Engagement (read)
- Twinfinite | Third Expansion for Age of Empires 2 Announced (read)
- Destructoid | Review: TASTEE: Lethal Tactics (read)
- GameSpot | TASTEE: Lethal Tactics Review (read)
- Destructoid | The top 33 indie games to look for in 2016 (read)
- Rock Paper Shotgun | Impressions: TASTEE: Lethal Tactics (read)
- Cinema Blend | Age Of Empires 2 Is Getting An Expansion 16 Years After Its Release (read)
- Financial Post | Project Spark review: Game building 101 on Xbox One (read)
- Canada.com | Project Spark review: Coding and design made easy in this inspiring game creator (read)
- Destructoid | What’s this? An Age of Empires II expansion? (read)
- PC Gamer | After 14 years, an Age of Empires 2 fan mod becomes an official expansion (read)
- SkyBox Labs’ First Console Title Launches: Kinect Nat Geo TV, Co-Developed with Relentless Software
- SkyBox Labs Opens Its Doors!